There is a lot to learn from watching other artists paint.
Every artist is unique in the way they handle a brush, mix colors and deal with problems. Art is fascinating in the sense we all come up with different ways to render and interpret the same subjects.
But, you need to be careful when learning from the "watch me paint" method as it may lead you astray. Here are some guidelines which I recommend you follow when watching other artists:
- Be aware that just because a great artist does something, does not mean you should also do it.
- Try to adopt fundamental practices of great artists, not personal preferences.
- Closely observe how they make decisions and handle mistakes. That is the most important part of painting.
- Do not worry that much about the supplies and materials they use. This is largely up to personal preference. Take note but do not feel pressured to copy the supplies and materials. (This is why I am always hesitant to provide strict supply lists for anyone doing tutorials with me. I feel it can restrict your choices).
- Be aware that other artists make mistakes, no matter how great they are, and they will not always admit it.
- Be aware that there will always be artists who are more skilled than you are. Do not feel intimidated by that. Learn to embrace those who have mastered such a difficult craft and be inspired by it.
Also, make sure you learn the fundamentals of art for yourself. Otherwise, you are just learning how other artists interpret and apply the fundamentals, rather than coming up with your own methods.
This is one of the benefits of being a self-taught artist. You get a chance to apply much of the art theory in an unbiased way. Those who go to art schools are undoubtedly influenced by the teacher's beliefs and interpretations (which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is important to consider).
Thanks For Reading!
Thanks for taking the time to read this post and I hope you learned something new! If you found the post useful, please share. Also, don't forget to subscribe and get my free Painting For Beginners Guide and read my about page if you want to learn more about my story.
If you are new to painting, I suggest you check out my ebook, 21 Easy Ways To Improve Your Paintings.
Draw Paint Academy