Here is a list of everything I use and recommend. I have provided links to products where appropriate. Some of these are affiliate links, meaning if you make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. These funds are used to help grow the website and promote art education to people around the world.
Keep in mind that I am primarily an oil painter. If you use acrylics or watercolors, some of these supplies will not be appropriate for you.
I mostly use the following brushes by Rosemary and Co:
- Ultimate Bristle Filbert (Various Sizes)
- Ultimate Bristle Short Flat (Various Sizes)
- Ultimate Bristle Pointed Round (Various Sizes)
- Pure Kolinsky Pointed (Size 2)
I use palette knives for handling paint on my palette and for creating interesting marks on the canvas. I am not loyal to any brand, as long as the knives are firm and have a long, straight edge.
My usual color palette consists of:
- Titanium White
- Raw Umber
- Ultramarine Blue
- Cobalt Blue
- Viridian Green
- Permanent Alizarin Crimson (or a similar alternative)
- Cadmium Red
- Cadmium Orange
- Yellow Ochre
- Cadmium Yellow
- Cadmium Yellow Light
I currently have three easels which I use in different situations:
Solvents and Mediums
I use odorless solvent by Art Spectrum. I also have linseed oil handy, but I rarely use it for painting.
I usually start a painting with paint thinned with odorless solvent. Then I gradually transition to using paint straight from the tube.
- Paper Towels (for cleaning up and wiping my brushes between strokes)
- Tablet (for viewing reference photos)
- Tablet Holder (secured next to my easel for ease of reference)
- Brush Holder
- Cups and Containers (for holding solvents and mediums)
- Old Painting Clothes
- Soap (for cleaning brushes)
- Masters Brush Cleaner (for cleaning expensive brushes)