- The painting depicts a wet, overcast day. Pale greens dominate the painting. The scene is basked in a soft, cool light.
- This is one in a series of tree paintings. You can see some of the others below (click to enlarge):
- Multicolored strokes allowed me to convey the illusion of nature’s detail without needing to render every rock, leaf, or strand of grass.
- For the tree, I focused on the dominant branches. I simplified the rest.
- A key feature is the line of pale green behind the tree. I was careful to get this color right.
Click here to download the full resolution reference photo.
If you ever want to learn more, you might be interested in my Painting Academy course.