Thanks for Completing the Survey!
So, you’re a beginner. What an exciting time to paint. Everything is new, improvements are noticeable, and the rest of your painting journey still awaits.
The downside is, painting can be VERY frustrating for a beginner, especially if you don’t have someone to guide you. Just make sure you hang in there, as it does get better! Painting is incredibly rewarding once things start to “click”.
As a newsletter subscriber, you’ll receive helpful tips to guide you on your painting journey. I also publish detailed articles on this website about once a week.
I also put together the following tips based on your survey results:
- Focus on learning fundamental concepts-things like color, composition, value, brushwork, etc. These concepts are fairly universal across the art world. Don’t get caught up only learning gimmicky techniques.
- If you want to become a great painter, don’t overlook drawing. They go hand in hand.
- Most of your early paintings won’t turn out as planned, unless you are some kind of art prodigy. Don’t get frustrated (I know, easier said than done). It’s part of the journey. Even the great masters were amateurs at one point.
- Don’t worry about developing a personal style at this stage. It will happen naturally over time. Instead, focus on painting well.
- There’s a wealth of information from history and living artists. You don’t need to reinvent the wheel.
- Don’t take yourself too seriously. Be humble. Enjoy the journey.
More tips to come if you stay subscribed to my email newsletter. You might also be interested in:
Painting Academy – My fundamentals course. Learn about color, composition, value, brushwork, etc.
21 Easy Ways to Improve Your Paintings Ebook – Simple and effective tips you can apply to your next painting.